Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Another answer?

In a previous post I mentioned that I haven't been feeling right for a while. While I was still nursing Sweetsa, I had attributed all my symptoms to still nursing and waking up during the night, especially the exhaustion. But we stopped nursing in December, and if anything, some of the symptoms have become more pronounced! Little things like super dry and cracking skin, insane shedding of hair (even the Nurse Practitioner's eyebrows rose when I described having to "groom" our clean laundry of my hair...gross, I know!). Or brittle nails, or cold intolerance...from one who used to wear shorts and sandals in the dead of winter, this year I've been scrambling for blankets, long sleeve shirts and sweaters!
After listening to my mom, sister-in-law, sister, and cousin-in-law talk about various symptoms of hypothyroidism (in several conversations), I broke down and made an appointment to get my thyroid function checked. I was absolutely amazed to hear affirmation of some of the "little" symptoms, that all together could signal improper thyroid function.
Anyway the results came back, and yes, my thyroid is having some issues. Hopefully with the meds I'm starting I really will start to feel "normal" again, although I think I'll settle for less exhausted all the time...and maybe keeping my hair on my head!)

8 Comments:

Blogger Ree said...

You must be so relieved to finnally have a diagnosis! I hope the meds are a simple solution, and you feel better soon.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

Good job on getting that checked. I hope you're feeling more like yourself again soon.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Wow, I'm glad you got that checked out. Hope you'll be feeling "normal" again soon!

8:40 AM  
Blogger ang said...

it must be a relief to know what's making your body all wacky...and it's really good that it's something that can be fixed!!

9:36 PM  
Blogger ang said...

ps- i think our tiny, wordless little ones are soul mates! they are so much alike that it's always fun for me to hear the updates on sweetsa!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Trick said...

What a relief! I am so glad for you. Get "well" soon! We love you and will keep you in our prayers. In fact, I put you on the prayer roll the other day, for no particular reason, but now I know why...

10:12 PM  
Blogger The Mathews Family said...

I'm sure that you are so relieved to at least have a diagnosis. Hopefully your meds will kick in soon. My mom has had thyroid issues for several years and it's never fun to get figured out. Let me know if there's anything that I can do for you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
-Jessica

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just have your thyroid removed. That´s what I did. It will wreck your modeling career, but it makes for great conversation.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home