Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Preschool

Growing up, I was rather proud of the fact that I had never gone to preschool...especially when a girl in my Kindergarten or 1st Grade class tried to tell me that I had been in her preschool class! (Nuh-UH! I didn't hafta go to preschool!) I don't think I missed out on anything, really...I got plenty of socialization and co-operative learning/playing at home and in Nursery and Primary. And that was what Mommy always told me was the reason I (and some of my siblings) didn't go to Preschool.

I am beginning to think that it also simplified her life at a time when things were probably pretty crazy...ie a big move from Easton to Trooper, baby #5 coming (hey Catherine, I'm glad you came!), being in the Primary, dealing with a relatively newly diagnosed diabetic child, not to mention keeping up with the three oldest kids' activities. Whoa! Typing all that now reminds me what a wonderful woman my Mom is! Way to go Mommy! I love you!

I am glad that Mimi and now Buddy have this chance to be in the Waterford Preschool Program. Especially when they have class (time on the computer) at the same time. They are learning so much, so quickly, it just amazes me. They learn reading, math and Science and love to talk about the things they learn. Computer has just about taken over first place in Buddy's heart. We have had to institute time limits so that the two of them don't spend all day in front of the computer screen.

Mimi also takes part in a neighborhood co-operative preschool. Five or six of the kids in her CTR 5 class (there are 11 total) get together every Tuesday morning for 2-3 hours. This week it was my turn to teach. We talked about the letter E, following directions with ordinal numbers, coloring (paper) Easter eggs, and then gluing them onto baskets (I found the template here). Some of the kids enjoyed putting their fingerprints on boiled eggs, instead of the normal dying them (of couse it's messier and more "hands-on" too;), while others were facinated by the VeggieTales movie "An Easter Carol." We ended with a quick egg hunt in the front yard.
The only complaint I got was that we didn't have "boy toys". That stumped me for a minute, and I said, "We have cars and trucks, trains, blocks, balls, and plenty of tools!" the somewhat disgusted response was,"Weapons. You don't have 'em." Ah well. I guess you can't please everyone. I guess they managed though, because they all seemed to have a good time, and were excited to show their moms their preschool spoils.

Since Mimi misses the kindergarten cut off date by a few weeks, she'll be at home for another year before she can go to kindergarten. Some people have asked me when I'm going to enroll her in a formal preschool. My instinct is to say, isn't she busy enough? But my usual response is "Not just yet, there's still plenty of time." And then I start thinking, does she really need preschool (a formal one)? But is that just because I turned out ok without it,(at least I think I turned out OK!), or because I'm feeling a little frazzled with everything else that's on our plate right now? So I guess what I need to do is figure out what is best for Mimi and go with that.

8 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I also never went to preschool and I think I turned out perfectly fine(my unbiased opinion). If you want to borrow any of my weapons just let me know.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Shana said...

When we moved out here, I was surprised by the number of people asking me if I was going to enroll my 2 year old in the "two's program." By the time my boys reach four and five, I get the most apalled looks--"What? No preschool?" But I tell ya what--my boys can do everything those "educated" kids can do and then some. And we have a lot more fun. Why just today Noah deduced that amber is from pine sap based on the context of his conversation with Mark. Of course, if we had the $4600/year to send our kids to preschool I would. . . well, I still wouldn't do it. Kindergarten is a great place to start. And that's coming from a girl who did go to preschool and can hardly remember any of it.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I recall that there were kids in Kindergarten with me who had gone to Nursery School. To me it didn't sound very fun then (nursery was for babies) and to this day I feel like I was much better off than any of the other kids (thanks Mom!).

There has probably been more than a name change - but I think people these days are in so much of a hurry to get their kids ready - for school, sports, college, life ... that some just might be forgetting that their kids are already living.

"For of such is the kingdom of heaven."

"Let them be little"

7:43 PM  
Blogger Boss said...

I think life is pre-school. And post-school for that matter. I remember loving kindergarten, until I realized liking school wasn't cool. (You get advanced concepts early when you have four older siblings.)
But even if school is lame (and it often is), learning is cool. And it sounds like your kids are just eating it right up. That's what matters, not following the expected pathway from one structured classroom to another.

9:54 PM  
Blogger B said...

PS Sarah was actually baby #5 (And I'm glad you came along too, Sarah!). I meant Baby #6...Again, Catherine, I'm glad you're here!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I started telling Anita the story about no 'boy toys', she responded 'Swords, Guns, Knives...' before I even got to the punch line. I guess thats a result of us having several boys. Though it must be contagious - even our cute little dancing 2-year old can make imaginary weapons out of almost anything at with a moment's notice and no external prompting.

10:17 PM  
Blogger B said...

Yeah, since that "conversation" I realized that we don't need any "boys toys" because Jacob, et al turn everything into weapons of one sort or another. I would hate to stunt their imaginary play by actually buying weapons for them!
The best part is Jacob comes up with names for his weapons...the fingernails clippers are (and this is phonetic) "peuhhh"-ers. I suppose that's the sound the weapon makes, but when he is looking for them he says "Where's my peuhhh?"

8:03 AM  
Blogger Trick said...

Yes, I grew up a little jealous of pre-school attenders, but also feeling like it was never really an essential part of life.

I was a little baffled when so many people kept on asking me when I would sign Aunah up for preschool. I felt I wanted more time alone with her, not less. We have so many things we are involved with and so much running around, I didn't feel like we needed one more thing.

Finally in January SHE started asking me why I didn't sign her up and I felt really guilty. So, I found a cheap ($40/semester!) preschool that would accept her late entrance. She goes 2 times a week for two hours. She seems to have fun, but I don't think it's very academic. At least it has satisfied her interest in preschool. As for your kids, it sounds like they are already in 2 Preschools and learning so much! I think Megan is way ahead of schedule with her reading and writing and they both seem to be doing great. Who cares what other people think, as long as we know we are doing our best for our kids?

As for the weapons, we don't allow any in our house, but Isaak certainly creates a lot of swords and guns out of sticks, curtain rods, sandwiches, whatever.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home