Saturday, August 05, 2006

Tree Trouble

About a year ago, while we were enjoying ourselves at a campout at Theater in the Pines, a microburst hit the area and we lost a large limb from our willow in the back. It actually stayed suspended in the tree, but was hanging over utility lines (and the area the kids usually play in). So we had the power company come out and take care of it. I can still feel the ground/house shaking as another piece of the limb fell from the tree. In this pic you can see the hole that was left in the top of the tree by the loss of that limb.
Now we are having problems with our huge Horse Chestnut tree in the front. About a month ago, we started noticing some very large wasp-looking creatures hanging around that tree. When I got a good look at them I realized, from what I remembered from my entomolgy class, that they were Ichneumons and we had a problem...namely an infestation. It was also at about this time that we noticed that one or several woodpeckers have had a heyday on the tree. Both the birds and the Ichneumons feed on the larval stage of other insects. So we have "bugs" in the tree. I called the city to see if they would come out and take a look and was put on a list. Apparently they have had a lot of similar requests recently.
When I called back last week to see where we stood on the list I was told they would get to my house this week. (This is were the music goes, dum, dum, dum!)

Then on Tuesday we had a massive storm hit us and do major damage all over the place. It was very sobering to see all the trees down, buildings ruined, and general mess from a 12-minute storm!

I guess my tree isn't so very important! I'm just glad that, despite the destruction, there were no injuries or fatalities! What a miracle!

4 Comments:

Blogger ang said...

Hey Bethany! I found your blog through Julia's. That storm just sounds so crazy...I'm glad everybody is okay! Feel free to stop by our blog and say hello any time!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes, that sounds like quite a storm! I'm also glad everyone is okay. Too bad those pesky insects didn't get taken away with the storm!
-Christine

2:55 PM  
Blogger B said...

Yeah, despite the hurricane-force winds, they are still out there, usually 6-8 at a time, busy laying eggs...we'll see how long they last!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Wow those bugs looked nasty! Glad your place was ok in the storm!

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home