Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Wheel of Time

**SciFi/Fantasy Fans be warned this is NOT about Robert Jordan's series or any of the RP and web worlds based on the series.**

Ever since I can remember, I have heard the phrase "History repeats its-self." I've also heard the explaination that we have to learn from history so that we don't repeat the mistakes (this from one of my history teachers, when asked why we needed to study history). And I believe that, although I think there are other, more compelling reasons we should learn about our history and heritage, but I'm not going to get into that right now. This post isn't really about history, except on a very personal scale.

The wheel of time has turned again and we find ourselves back where we were five months ago, sadly enough, dealing with Buddy's teeth again. In January, Buddy slipped and knocked his mouth on the side of the tub. He knocked his teeth out of their sockets and ended up in surgery a couple days later to reposition and repair them.

You can kind of see how they're mis-aligned in this picture. He wasn't able to chew/bite because one tooth was behind the bottom teeth and the other one kind of crossed the biting plane.






The surgery fixed the teeth and life was good again: no more pain, soft diet or crooked teeth!






And along comes the 3rd of July! At a block party, Buddy was enjoying a neighbor's skateboard (kneeling/laying on it and pushing it with his hands). Suddenly a little girl runs up to me saying, "I think your little boy bit his lip."
Somewhat concerned, I scanned the crowd and found Buddy in the arms of our second counselor in the bishopric. He repeated the bit lip theory, but my heart sank as I transferred him to my arms. Yes, his lip was bleeding, but his teeth were once again knocked back! *sigh*

We tried to take him to the ER, but our hospital does not deal at all with dental trauma...even if it's a holiday, and the child is 3 years old. GRRR! Because it happened on the eve of a holiday, his dentist was out of town. When we got a hold of his partner (who was also leaving town), he explained that in all likelyhood, he would loose those teeth, despite any "heroics", as he put it. This because they had already survived one trauma, but were seriously weakened in the process. We made an early morning appointment for the 5th and tried to enjoy the Fourth. (Which we did have a good time...with the help of a little Ibuprofen, Carnation instant breakfast and some Twinkies, he did great!)
So we spent the morning at the dentist yesterday, getting the teeth pulled. There was no resistance as the dentist pulled those two teeth out...just twisted and out they came :(



And so All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth keeps going through my head when I see his new smile. D came in last night singing it, and we had to laugh. After six weeks' healing time, Buddy can go back in and get "fitted" for space holders, so his permanent teeth won't be affected by his recent dental excitement!

I'm already getting used to the new smile and the new lisp...ya'll'll see when you're here in a few weeks!

6 Comments:

Blogger Emmy said...

I am so sorry B. But as one of the doctors that I work for says, "Kids don't start caring about what their teeth are like until about first grade, or maybe kindergarten." In the mean time, he probably won't care. Usually it's harder on the parents than it is on the child.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He still has a wonderfull smile.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Being a survivor of childhood tooth trauma - I am certain that Buddy will make it through just fine.

I got my front teeth knocked loose and chipped in a bullfight - Michael was the toro, and my blue blankie was my cape. We were being babysat no less. Fortunately for the babysitter, his older brother happened to stop by, and helped to calm us both down (me and his brother).

I remember trying to (painfully!) eat waffles the next morning, and only vaguely remember the extraction.

I learned to whistle with my tongue, and I did have a few years of "thpeeth thewapee" that make me a better speaker even today.

My mom was home the time I fell up the steps and put my teeth through my lip - I had to have stitches for that one. But because I was missing a tooth, the scar has a gap too.

7:54 PM  
Blogger dani said...

((((((B)))))) ((((((Buddy)))))))

Goodness! I'm so sorry you had to go thru that again. Buddy is still a cutie patootie with a cute little smile. Hope all heals well and there are no lasting effects.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Ree said...

OOWIE! I'm sorry Buddy. You are just as cute even without your front teeth!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Trick said...

I am so sad to hear how you had to go through all that all over again. I am also sorry we will miss his cute looks an cute lisp.

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home