Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Medical update

Well, since we have spent some time in the doctors' offices of late, I'll pass on the medical minutia:

HRT (Hormone replacement therapy) is WONDERFUL! The small dose of thyroid medication I am taking is enough to make a WORLD of difference in my life! A few months ago, life was...bleak. It really brings tears to my eyes when I remember how I felt back then. I think, why did I wait so long to go to the doctor?! I don't have an answer for that, I'm just glad I did finally "wake up" and realize that things were wrong. Life is wonderful! Sure it's busy as all get out, but now I have the energy to somewhat keep up with things, my hair is staying on my head, where it belongs, and my skin is no longer like sand paper (to name a few things that are better).

Strep stinks! Especially when all three kids get it. But amoxicillin does work, at least I think it does...Mimi is still coughing and complaining of a sore throat, but that could just be a viral pharyngitis (viral sore throat). Sweetsa appears to have developed a sensitivity to the meds...she spent 2.5 days with hives this weekend, poor thing. Stupid Mom didn't know what they were, thinking she (Sweetsa)sat on an ant hill or something. Poor baby! Oh, and she is less than impressed with the allergy medication. The thing that bugs me most about this bout with sickness is that none of the kids were symptomatic...no fevers, vomiting, lethargy, or anything! They didn't even complain about sore throats, before they tested positive for strep! (I took Mimi in to the Dr. for a cough that she's had for over a month...they swabbed her, it came back positive, so they swabbed the others, too.)How am I supposed to know my kids have a contagious illness if there are no symptoms?! So I am deeply sorry if any of your children caught the strep from my children!

When we were at the Dr's office for the strep, I took the opportunity, and plopped Sweetsa on the scale. She is now 21 lbs! She really is chunking out! That means she's gained almost 2 pounds since her 18 month checkup (7 weeks ago!) and she is now wearing 12 month clothes!

8 Comments:

Blogger ang said...

two pounds in less than two months?!?!! i think she is ahead of D now...how are you doing it?!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Naoma said...

Strep is the worst!! I can't believe that they weren't complaining about anything bothering them... that is crazy! Glad that they are feeling better, also can't believe that she is only in 12 month clothes!! Tommy is in 2T and 3T!!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Taffy said...

I'm so glad you are feeling so much better! Sorry about all the strep. And the allergies

9:29 PM  
Blogger Coach said...

So, I have to apologize in advance for thrusting my doctorly comment on you, but it feels kind of nice that after $150,000 of debt (or so), that I remember a few things. ;-)

-you can be colonized with the bug that causes strep without having strep, and since there were no symptoms, that's probably what happened in this case.

-treating strep doesn't make the symptoms any shorter (it just makes doctors look good when they resolve on their own in a couple days), it just decreases the risk of sequella that can follow a strep infection (kidney problems, scarlet fever, rheumatic heart disease...)

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. ;-)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Princess Gerty said...

LOL! Coach! you crack me up! B, I have felt the same frustration. I have gone in a few times for a normal check up for the kids, and come away with a prescription for an ear infection.

I am SO HAPPY you are feeling better B. Welcome back to sunny life! We love you!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

So glad to hear your treatment has made life wonderful again! That's great news about sweetsa, too. Hope everybody is over the strep by now. Now stay healthy!

7:21 AM  
Blogger The Mathews Family said...

I'm glad that you're feeling better. It sounds like it was a long time in coming. Sorry that all of your kids got sick. That's never fun. I can't tell you how many times I came home from wellness check-ups with a prescription for ear infections. My girls get them every time they get new teeth. One question? Would I be that bad of a mom if I just decided to medicate them (and myself?!) until all of their teeth have grown in?!! I'm glad to hear that they're starting to come around. Holy Cow on the 2 lb. gain for Sweetsa. That's incredible!
-Jessica

7:41 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

pharyngitis! I've had that before, it was horrible, like swallowing broken glass- Hope Mimi is feeling better, poor thing

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home