Monday, April 17, 2006

Fun Days, Sun Days

This has been quite a busy week for our family. The weather has been absolutely beautiful, so we've spent a lot of time outside... except for Tuesday when it snowed a couple inches!)
Sweetsa met her first patch of grass and couldn't after be contained on the blanket. She has been rolling all over the place for a while now. This week she began scooting forward, not quite army crawling, but definitely strait line movement vs. rolling to get everywhere (although she still does alot of that too.)
We of course had the requisite egg hunts on Saturday. Mimi and Buddy secured enough eggs to keep the family in candy for a few weeks at least. Javich dropped by our house wearing his pink bunny suit. I wanted to get a picture of the kids with our own Easter Bunny, but they ran away;( When asked on Sunday about being visited by the big pink bunny, Buddy said, "No it's a pig, just like Javich!" So both my kids insist it's a pig suit, NOT a bunny suit. Sorry, Javich!
Javich has posted about the adventures he had this year while wearing that suit on campus and to work! He had my sides hurting as he told me!
Also on Saturday we had a ward talent show. Mimi decided to get a group of girls together and dance to Bach's Sicilienne from Sonata in E Flat Major for Flute and Harpsichord. The girls in pastels danced beautifully and loved the attention from the crowd. The girls in black were quite a bit more timid, occaisionally racing across the stage, spending most of the dance hiding behind the curtains. They were all so cute, and got plenty of applause. I was going to do the famous broomstick trick as my talent, but was unable to, due to a shoulder injury, sigh. I am getting old! So I took two still-warm loaves of my homemade bread* and some home-canned jam...it all got eaten, so I assume that my "talent" was appreciated.

On Sunday we had Family Easter Dinner here at our house. Dani brought her Mom's German Potato Salad, Caroline made her fantastic orange rolls, and Mommy made her Molten Fudge Cake for John's b-day. It all went well with the ham we ate and the "ham" we listened to...inspired by Ree's blog, we listened to Oedipus Tex and Classical Rap as we ate. After dinner, Mimi took ChristieSue and Caroline outside to have Primary. Caroline complained that it was hard to hear with Buddy's lawnmower going.

* Here is the recipe, if you are interested...it's from my mother-in-law.
3 C. hot water
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. powdered suger
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. salt
1/4 C. oil
~8 C. flour
Mix all ingredients but 2 C. flour together, let rest 1 min. Add 2 cups flour and mix for 5 min. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Cut and form into loaves. Let rise in pan(s). Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and has a hollow sound when knocked. Makes two loaves. This also works as excellent scone dough (not English -baked- scones, Scandanavian -fried- scones).

11 Comments:

Blogger Taffy said...

I love the picture of Katie looking at the grass. It is so fun to see what can mezmorize babies. Your dancers are cute. Plus I was just thinking about that broomstick trick the other day. Wondering if I could still do it. I still can....but its a lot harder that I remember.

4:49 PM  
Blogger B said...

Yeah, I did it after Kaitlyn was born(*a few weeks after, not in the hospital!)but now I can't quite get it.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Emmy said...

Wow! Megan sure has a grip on music if she can pronounce the entire title of that song and actually know what she's talking about!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

What is this broomstick trick? How is it that I haven't ever seen it?

5:31 PM  
Blogger B said...

We'll have to show you at reunion, as I've never been able to do it justice verbally. ALl I can say is it's like you thread your body around the broom, without letting go of the broom. Maybe AnneMarie got a better desciption in her class (the origin of the broomstick trick). I remember that we did a double broomstick trick for our sophomore ward talent show. Can you still do it Ree?

8:06 AM  
Blogger Boss said...

I don't think I've seen the broomstick trick either. It must have been out of style while we were in Provo, Sonnet. I look forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks for the bread recipe. I'll have to give it a try. How long does it have to rise? How many loaves does it make? I'm not so good with bread, but I figure if I keep practicing I'll get there. Plus, eating the failures is still fun. (I can't say I'd mind eating a failed molten fudge cake either. Sounds YUMMY! Perhaps I need a recipe for that too.) (hint hint)

8:35 PM  
Blogger B said...

The rising time depends on how warm the room (generally the kitchen) is. I usually plan 30-45 minutes for each rise. This recipe makes two loaves, but can be halved very easily.

And looking at the Recipe that I have for the chocolate cake...it's really called Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, but I think Molten Fudge Cake sounds good, too. So here's the recipe, call it what you will:
1 C flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C +2Tbsp cocoa
1/2 C milk
2 tbsp oil
1 C chopped nuts(optional)
1 C brown sugar
1-3/4 C water
Blend flour, BP, salt, and 2Tbsp cocoa. Stir in oil,milk, and nuts. Spread in 9x9 inch pan. Sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar& 1/4 C cocoa. Pour 1-3/4 C water over entire batter. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Enjoy warm w/ vanilla ice cream.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Peanut said...

As a bread-making novice, I was excited to try your bread recipe. So I got home and was about to get started when I realized--I don't own any bread pans. I'm that much of a novice. But now I'm really excited to try molten lava chocolate pudding cake yumminess!

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ballet dancers are adorable, and the recipe for bread sounds very good. I have been baking one loaf at a time in the bread machine, but think I'll try this recipe. Haven't made the "real thing" in a long time. But, what really sounds goooooood is the molton fudge cake. I was going to ask for the recipe but I see someone already did. Thanks. Aunt Betty

5:45 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

Hi. Sorry my comment is coming in so late. I was unable to load the entire blog earlier. (New Comp. does not = end to all technical difficulties, unfortunately.) I really don't know if I can still do the broomstick trick. The last time I tried was a few years ago. I believe I had some difficulty, not with the flexibility so much as remembering exactly how the manuver proceeds. We'll have to find a big broom closet at reunion.

I love the photo of Kaitlyn. The profile looks very Henrichsen. Reminded me of Daniel, actually. And Megan looks just like a little B.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Trick said...

I vaguely remember you guys doing the broom trick, and I think it was pre-Diana-coming-to-Provo.

I am so proud of Megan for organizing a show. Aunah loves entertaining with dancing and other shows but she sure gets camera shy with strangers. (not at all like her mom ha ha).

I always laugh when I read about you guys enjoying the weather when it warms up. It of course has only gotten cold enough for a sweatshirt around here in the winter. When it starts to warm up the weather is quite lovely, but I have a sinking feeling inside because I know it's only going to get hotter and the killer heat is on its way.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home