Monday, December 31, 2007

Beginning Astronomers?

Many of you probably heard the devastating astronomical news this past summer that Pluto has been demoted and is no longer deemed a planet in our Solar System. That's right only eight Planets now claim Sol as home system, but never fear...my children have come up with names for any newly discovered planets...full-size or dwarf.

We've been talking about the planets recently. As we were driving the other day, Mimi was trying to name the planets from closest to the Sun to furthest away. She got about half way, and then asked, "Where's Uterus?"

After having her repeat the question, D and I had to wait several minutes before we could answer/ask her to clarify without cracking up... After thinking about it, I realized she just squished a bunch of the planet names together into a word that she recognized (she knows where the baby is growing). But it was so funny to hear that question! Especially since the day before when Buddy and I were talking about the names of the planets he said (pointing to a picture of Neptune) "What comes after Urine?"

I don't know that astronomers will use the names my children have chosen, even for dwarf planets, but that's ok!

5 Comments:

Blogger Taffy said...

LOL! I have always wondered about some of those planet names.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Boss said...

me 2 taffy! so cute!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Becca Bell said...

Just so you know, I check your blog every once in a while and even steal some ideas from it. I borrowed the baby tracker idea and went to lilypie.com and created my own. I really enjoy looking at your family pictures! Oh and if Mimi ever finds out where the planet Uterus is, please let me know!

4:35 PM  
Blogger The Mathews Family said...

Hey, she's a smart girl there. Uterus sounds much better then some of the other names those old astronomers came up with. If we can demote planets, why can't we change their names?

Nate grew up with a dog that had it's vocal chords clipped so that it wasn't so "yappy". I told my nephew that if we ever got a dog we would do the same thing. When they got a dog he wanted to know if they were going to get the dogs umbilical chord clipped! Kids are funny!
-Jessica

6:31 PM  
Blogger H. said...

I totally bust up laughing! Aren't kids the greatest!!

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home