Thursday, July 05, 2007

Some days are good, other days just down-right stink! Today has been one of those latter days (no pun intended!) I have felt like an absolutely horrible Mom today...like I don't even deserve to have kids. It started out ok...we all got to snug in bed til about 8 and then got up for breakfast. Except what did they want for breakfast? "Chips and Cheese!" Sorry how about our "yummy 2-1 mix of corn flakes and frosted flakes" instead? Which of course they never eat...another 3 bowls of milk and cereal down the drain. What a waste! then we go to Costco for more milk (since I've been dumping it down the drain so much!) and other things. And Sweetsa takes a dive from the cart. I didn't strap her in to avoid a major tantrum (she's getting really good at those now.) Of course in hindsight, the tantrum would have been better. I've been watching her closely...there have been no signs of concussion or loss of feeling/movement. Thankfully.

And as if that wasn't enough trauma for all of us today, Buddy started screaming about his eye this afternoon...when I finally got him to hold still I could see that it was bright red and tearing something fierce. But I couldn't actually see anything in it and he could move it around. After cold compresses and more screaming I asked him what happened to make it start hurting. "The pokey thing hurt it!" Huh? Then I noticed a bunch of toothpicks on the floor. "Did you stick a toothpick in your eye!?" "Yeah!" So we started the cold water wash. After about ten minutes, the redness began to fade and he seemed to be able to bear the discomfort.

So after that I begin to wonder, am I totally neglecting my kids? Am I imagining it, or are they especially good at finding dangerous/potentially fatal situations? I'm pretty sure we've child proofed and tried to teach our kids to avoid dangerous places/things. I do think Buddy has a talent for finding things that I just never even THINK of telling him not to do! I am seriously stumped as to what more I can do. The toothpicks were on the top shelf of our upper cupboards...the only higher place is in the attic.

And while everyone seems to be fine (Sweetsa does have a headache), I know that statistically at this rate that will not always be the case!

4 Comments:

Blogger Boss said...

Go easy on yourself. It sounds to me like no amount of child proofing or responsible advice-giving could keep Buddy from finding trouble when he wants to! He's got an adventurer's spirit. I'm glad he's not hurt, but "the pokey thing" thing made me laugh.

I'm glad Sweetsa's OK too! Hang in there.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Lady said...

I'm sorry B! I had a moment like that today too. We were in the baby pool where they have a zero entry. Piper crawls everywhere trying to go as deep as she can. Ainsley needed help with something so I was trying to help/watch the baby with one eye. I swear I only looked away for 3 seconds and Chase said, "the baby the baby" and I look and she's on her back underwater. I felt great. I think it's impossible to have our eyes on them every single second and we just do the best we can!

5:52 PM  
Blogger B said...

Yeah, I know. I was feeing pretty awful when I wrote this. It sat as a draft for a few weeks. When I finally found it again today, I just laughed and shook my head and posted it. While I remember feeling so horrible that day I also want to remember the insane things my kids get into sometimes!

Reading it again, the"pokey thing" thing makes me laugh too, Diana!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm surprised any of us ever survive childhood with what we we're capable of doing despite our parents' best efforts. I'm glad you can laugh about it now...Buddy sure seems to have a knack for creating excitement! :)

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home