Friday, September 28, 2007

And she's off...again!


So I went in to the school last week to see if I could get Mimi into some higher reading/math groups. She came home a few weeks into the school year and told me that Kindergarten was...kinda boring. It was parent teacher conferences and I thought I could get some good results.

As it turned out (happily) I didn't have to push for anything. The teacher (Mrs. N) and the instructional coordinator for the school were raving from the start of the conference, and before I had gotten a word in they suggested Mimi be moved up to first grade. Of course they prefaced it with the comments..."Her birthday is close enough to the cutoff." "Her test (evaluation) scores were the highest of all those tested." etc, etc. So I was like great! She'll definitely get more academic stimulation in first grade than in kindergarten! But I was left to wonder why they had to wait so long to move her up, when I had asked them about moving her straight to first grade before school even started.

Ah well, I am just happy that the move was made. Mimi is absolutely blooming! It is so fun to hear her talk so excitedly about her day and her friends. And I am amazed at the improvement I have seen in just one week, not just in her academic work, but in her willingness to help at home, in her confidence in herself, and I didn't think her reading could get much better, but it has! Way to go Mimi, we are proud of you!

6 Comments:

Blogger Ree said...

That's fantastic! Good for Mimi! I'm glad that the school people came around to your way of thinking, even if they didn't take your word for it initially.

7:55 PM  
Blogger The Favorite said...

That is so great! She must have had such a great preschool-hee hee. No, really we just know she has an amazing mom. Have fun in 1st grade Mimi!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Kelley ♥ a bunch of apples said...

I agree with the amazing mom comment! I knew that she could skip kindergarten, she is so dang smart!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Boss said...

Wow! I'm totally signing my kids up for Mimi's "preschool" too. Keep it up Mimi! I'm sure you'll be amazing us for many years to come!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Naoma said...

What a sweet smart little girl. She is getting so big!

7:57 PM  
Blogger The Mathews Family said...

Eliza made me laugh! I'm so glad for Mimi AND for you. Sounds like she's in a great place with great teachers. I'm glad it was such an easy transition, too.
-Jessica

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home