Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WOO HOO!


Congratulations Phillies! The Phillies just won the World Series in five games, despite game five being postponed in the middle of the sixth inning the other night.

Way to win it for your city in your city!

I remember when the Phillies were playing the Orioles in the world series ...was that 25 years ago!? Probably the only reason I remember it is because we (Daddy-O and sph-1 family) were living near Philly and the "other" family (Daddy-A and sph-2) lived outside of Baltimore. We happened to visit with them during the series, and in my memory, mayhem ensued. As I recall, the families (or at least the girls) took sides, Phillie fans on one side Orioles fans on the other, and the Phillies fans were banished from the bedroom! LOL! Do any of you others remember this? We yelled back and forth Phillies are better, no the Orioles are the best a few times. I assume that we eventually ironed out our differences, what do you think girls?

The Orioles of course won that World Series.

But now Philadelphia has a Pennant. Way to go Phillies!

4 Comments:

Blogger ang said...

We were rooting for the Rays so we could have a couple more games to watch! Thanks a lot Phillies!!!!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Lady said...

Wasn't it the BEST??? I just feel so bad for your sports-a-holic brother who just built himself a sports watching room with a high def TV and surround sound. And HIS hometown team wins the world series as he watches it on an old 13 in tv from half the world away. He got up everymorning between 3:30 and 4 am to watch the games. My heart aches for him but rejoices in his happiness that HIS team won!!!

Funny story my dad told me. Baseball is a very superstitious sport. There used to be an understood agreement in Philadelphia that you couldn't build a building taller than William Penn's hat (referring to the statue of William Penn on top of Independence Hall). Since the mid 80s developers in Philly have begun building taller and taller buildings well exceeding William Penn. Since 1980 no professional team in Philadelphia has won it's championship. People said it was because they ignored the agreement and built sky scrapers. There is a new sky scraper being built right now. The Comcast building. It's just about done and it will exceed the height of the empire state building. Two weeks ago they superglued a small statue of William Penn to the top of this skyscraper so William Penn's hat would once again be the tallest point in Philadelphia. The Philly's won the championship!!!! What do you think? Superstitious?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

Thanks for the memories, B! I was pretty oblivious to sports as a kid, but the Oriole-mania in our town 25 years ago could not be ignored. So we became Oriole fans during the world series, along with every one else we knew. It came as rather a painful shock when I realized that our best beloved cousins were for the "other guys"! I don't remember squaring off or anyone being banished. But I do know I went right back to being sports-oblivious after the series. So no grudges, here!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Boss said...

I don't remember the Oriole/Phillies feud. But now that you bring it up, I'm mad all over again! Oh, wait, no. I'm sports oblivious like Ree. But I'm glad you're glad that your team won. Even if you did banish me from your room 25 years ago.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home