Thursday, July 31, 2008

Are you ready for some Football!?




A few weeks ago, my sweet sister, Princess Gerty, sent me a link she thought I might be interested in. For the past three years, I have seen news coverage of the BYU Football Women's Clinic the day/night after it occurred. I kept telling myself 'I've gotta do that next year!' But of course never heard about it until afterwards. This year, (thank you Gerty!) I was able to reserve a spot for myself and my friend. And then the waiting began.

I can't tell you how excited I have been for this thing, or how much I truly love football! Let's just say I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas today! As I got the kids ready to go to the sitter I was literally bouncing on the couch I was so excited!

And it was AWESOME!!!


It was so fun to be there (albeit with 500 other women) with the coaches and players. Coach Lamb and Wayne Latu were hilarious, cracking one liners all night. It was fun to see the players interact with each other. For example, Dennis Pita and Max Hall are now brothers-in-law, having married sisters over the summer. So they traded "bro" comments back and forth. It was also hilarious to me how star struck some of the women were! But one of my favorite moments was when Jeff Bell was demonstrating DB (defensive back) stance and a footwork drill involving two bags on the ground and one we had to tackle. He went through the drill at speed. But some women seemed confused, so asked him to do it again. He did...in s- u- p- e- r s- l- o- w motion, totally playing it--wiggling his hips to get down into stance and almost dancing over the bags!...it was hilarious!

It was also fun to hear some of the comments the coaches and players gave as we went through the drills, "great form!' was particularly satisfying..."patty-cake is one way to tackle 'em!" (thankfully not to me!)... "nice paint!" (for the ladies that thought to wear grease paint under their eyes)...and best of all the grunts of approval after a well-completed drill. Some of the coaches/players were more gruff than others (I wouldn't want to cross Coach Kaufusi!) But Coach Lamb was funny as he tried to settle us all down to start the night...he kept having to hush people, and every time he said Quiet down, ladies would giggle/laugh! His comment "My players don't laugh when I say that!" brought even more laughter.

At the end of the evening, we got to watch highlights from the 2007 season. It was so fun to see those great moments again. And interesting to note that some of those moments were mentioned when the players were asked what their favorite moments from last year were (Fourth and 18! Blocked field goal in UCLA game!) We were sent home with posters, t-shirts, media guides, fridge magnets, instruction booklets, and best of all great memories! I plan on doing this again next year (and the next and the next!), so anyone interested in joining me for fun and football let me know!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jam said...

Did you purposely not tell me where you were going? When I read the newspaper I hoped it had to be where you went, since I know how much you like football. I kept looking for your pic in the Daily Herald story. I'm glad you got to go. Your babies were great by the way. :D

10:51 AM  
Blogger Peanut said...

How fun! Can we incorporate that into reunion in 2 years? Like a girls night thing? :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

That is awesome!! I didn't know they even did something like that. How fun for you!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Peanut, we'd have to move reunion to the end of July to incorp. the Football clinic...historically it's the day before the players report for fall camp (ie end of July/Beginning of August). But I would love to have anyone that's still in town join me!

B

2:12 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

That sounds so cool! I'm glad you got to go. I still remember when and where I learned to enjoy football: Fall 1992, At Cougar Stadium, with you at my side explaining the details. Thanks for the good memories!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Princess Gerty said...

Although I had the impression to send that to you, I still felt a little silly--I assumed you already knew!! I am SOO glad I did! What a great time! I am so proud of you and excited for you!

9:59 PM  
Blogger The Mathews Family said...

How fun for you! Um, football is something that I just don't understand what's going on during the whole game. Glad you had fun, though!
-Jessica

7:43 PM  
Blogger Taffy said...

Jealous I am!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home