Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nature

Yesterday I witnessed something truly amazing. We were in the back yard, the kids and some friends enjoying the sprinklers and little pool. I noticed a spider dropping from the apricot tree on a single thread of silk.

As I walked past I thought, I'm that didn't land on my head. And then I watched in amazement as the spider came under attack by this tiny wasp. At first I thought the wasp had "run into" the spider, but then it made a series of bomber dives at the spider. The poor spider tried to escape by dropping quickly to the ground. But that wasp was right on it. Literally. Within seconds, the wasp had immobilized the spider (I assume by stinging it several times.)



I know that this kind of wasp does not actually eat the spider, but lays an egg in it and lets the larva eat the spider. It was so awesome to see this in action! It made me remember how much I love "bugs" and their interactions!

5 Comments:

Blogger Boss said...

I don't share your affection for bugs, but I bet that was cool to watch. And I'm glad nothing landed on your head.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Taffy said...

Ok so I couldn't help but think "GROSS" as I read this. I think its just the visualization of the larva eating thr spider from the inside out that got me. I do think bugs can be fascinating to watch. But I don't like them on my head either.

11:31 AM  
Blogger CAROLIONESS said...

The coolest part to me was that you knew what was really going on with those "bugs"!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Princess Gerty said...

Yes, I agree with the lioness, the best part is knowing what is going on. Thanks for the education. Otherwise, I honestly was thinking, "ew, gross!" Now, how much of your bug collection will be available in a few weeks (because I have some kids who will be very interested)?

10:12 PM  
Blogger H. said...

Okay, I never thought I'd feel sorry for a spider, but I do!

I loved your quotes from Sweetsa and Co. So cute!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home